Quote



“As a lotus flower is born in water, grows in water and rises out of water to stand above it unsoiled, so I, born in the world, raised in the world having overcome the world, live unsoiled by the world
To keep the body in good health is a duty, for otherwise we shall not be able to trim the lamp of wisdom, and keep our mind strong and clear. Water surrounds the lotus flower, but does not wet its petals.”
The Buddha -- Hindu Prince Gautama Siddharta, the founder of Buddhism, 563-483 B.C


Friday, May 18, 2012

Pig/Pork chase

My quest for naturally raised pork product is a never ending one. It was kinda started when i read "Pig Perfect" by Peter Kaminski.

The most recent is from this a few days ago from that link i googled 'ReRide Ranch' and i stumbled on this blog post, which led to an acorn-fed dinner at one of my favorite restaurants which made me so hungry and reminded me of my un-finished quest from two years ago to look for a restaurant serving the acorn-edition pork from La Quercia where i always get my prosciutto from.

From Sinosoul blog i looked up Becker Lane farm to learn about the the organic Berkshire pork but by this time the urge to check out La Quercia's Acorn-Edition product became so strong that i had to google 'La Quercia Acorn Edition' i got this and then i was sidetracked to this . Wow! this cut look so amazing and the comment by the famed wine critic Robert Parker sparked my desire to find out where i could get some so i went back to dear Google and i found out that Wally's carries which made me happy! By the way, looking at the specification for the Acorn-Edidion prosciutto i noticed that Becker Lane farm is one of the meat providers.

Wally's is one of my favorite food digs in Los Angeles :-). I called to confirm and Jenny from their Cheese Box mentioned "we also have the Spallacia, acorn-fed". I told her "i'll be there tomorrow" :-)))

When i stopped by Wally's the next day, Jenny gave me a paper-thin piece of the Spallacia to taste and it was awesome! The meat was not as salty as other kinds of prosciutto and the flavor, sweet porky and buttery, soft melt-in-your-mouth texture, sure was the best cured pork i've tasted, even better than the highly acclaimed and more pricey Iberico de Bellota from Spain (i think it's sweeter, creamier, less salty). I then tasted the Rossa Heirloom Berkshire that i originally intended to get and it was salty for me. Having tasted the spallacia had ruined my appreciation for the Rossa, imho. I guess i am in big trouble now because i can't see myself eating any other prosciutto but the Spallacia.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Related post

No comments:

Post a Comment